Hi all. It’s me, Carlos Hernandez, your host of the Tampa Patch newsletter. Let’s get this weekend started off right with a quick dive into everything you need to know about what’s going on around town, including updates on…
- Lona by Chef Richard Sandoval is opening at Marriott Water Street on July 18.
- Enjoy some fun this summer at Tampa Downtown Partnership’s Summer Series at Curtis Hixon Park.
- Rock Brothers Brewing and The Attic have permanently closed down in Ybor City.
But first, today’s weather: A t-storm around in the p.m. High: 89 Low: 80.
Here are the top stories in Tampa today:
- Lona by Chef Richard Sandoval is a new contemporary Mexican restaurant opening on July 18 at Marriott Water Street in downtown Tampa along the Tampa Riverwalk. The restaurant will replace Garrison Tavern at 505 Water St. inside the hotel. The restaurant is being made in collaboration with Chef Pablo Salas. (Tampa Patch)
- Residents can enjoy Tampa Downtown Partnership’s Summer Series at Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park through July 30. There will be activities and outdoor games every day during the event. On the weekends there are food trucks, vendors, and live music. (Fox 13 Tampa)
- A Tampa man has been charged with first-degree murder in the deadly shooting of his neighbor on North 13th Street in Tampa. Police said the suspect shot the victim multiple times. The incident happened on June 30 at 8:38 a.m. (Tampa Patch)
- Tampa wine concept Cru Cellars is closing its Armature Works location and revamping its Westshore Marina location into an Italian restaurant and Mediterranean location. The new restaurant will be called Vela and has an August opening planned. The news was announced on social media. (Subscription: Tampa Bay Times)
- Rock Brothers Brewing and its music venue The Attic have permanently closed down, according to a post made on the brand’s social media. The closure is one of many this summer and a loss for the Ybor City music community. The Attic first opened in 2016. (Creative Loafing Tampa)
Here’s to the wonderful local business who sponsors this newsletter. Check out what they can do for you:
Do you love coffee? Of course, you do! Who doesn’t? But what if you could enjoy the best cup of coffee possible, knowing that it’s good for your health and the planet? Java Planet Organic Coffee is a Tampa family-owned business, roasting certified organic coffee beans for over 13 years, including Smithsonian Bird Friendly coffee! They’re committed to providing delicious and healthful coffee that’s as good for the planet as it is for you. Visit Java Planet today and order your coffee!
Click here to get your business featured in this spot.
Today in Tampa:
- Tampa’s Downtown shared: “Hasbro and Top Trumps wants you to get on board by submitting your public nominations for what nonprofit, business or location deserve a square on the official MONOPOLY: Tampa Edition.” (Tampa’s Downtown via Facebook)
- City of Tamp shared: “Did you know: The City of Tampa is turning 136 on July 15? To celebrate, Tampa is hosting a series of free events honoring Tampa history. Visit tampa.gov/aaw for all the info.” (City of Tampa via Facebook)
- City of Tampa shared: “The Sustainability and Resilience Division is hiring an energy manager to increase energy efficiency and transition city staff and citizens to renewable and carbon-free energy sources. Learn more & apply: bit.ly/3JOij85″ (City of Tampa via Facebook)
- Midtown Tampa shared: “Join us at Royal Pets Market & Resort – Midtown Tampa on July 15 for an exciting adoption event with Mercy Full Project. Find your perfect furry companion while supporting a great cause.” (Midtown Tampa via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Stained Glass Classes with Freeda (July 17)
- TAMPA BAY JOBLINK 2023 Job Fair! (July 20)
- Crossing Over with Psychic Medium John Edward Live! (July 28)
- Crossing Over With Psychic Medium John Edward live! (August 5)
- Add your event
You’re officially in the loop for today. I’ll see you soon!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Tampa Patch newsletter? Contact me at SouthTampa@Patch.com