Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide from Monday, August 21 to Sunday, August 27, 2023.
Your favorite nightlife guide is back to cure your weekly FOMO. We’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening all week long around Houston, from Monday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide in Houston This Week: August 21 to 27, 2023
- The Riot Comedy Club presents Colum Tyrrell at Rudyard’s British Pub | Friday & Saturday –The Montrose laugh spot welcomes the Irish comedian for a series of live sets. Following his success in the Emerald Isle, Tyrrell moved to New York City, where he became a regular at clubs like Comedy Cellar and Stand Up NY. $20 and up. Times vary.
- Galveston Island Esports Summit at Galveston Island Convention Center | Friday to Sunday – Get ready for gaming, robot battles, virtual reality, board games and more as this popular event makes its return to the Island. You’ll find interactive pods and a chance to connect with fellow game enthusiasts. $40 and up; $20 for ages 12 and under. Times vary.
- Summer Surprise Pop-Up at Asia Society Texas Center | Daily | Final Week – In its final days, this cafe takeover from Cassie Ghaffar and Sandy Nguyen—the minds behind Saigon Hustle and Sunday Press—will be serving up a fresh menu of banh mi, milk tea, Japanese-inspired sandos and more at the cafe inside Asia Society. Menu prices vary. 8:30am to 3pm.
- Houston Restaurant Weeks at Multiple Locations | Daily | Ongoing – The Houston Food Bank’s biggest fundraiser returns for another year, offering a month-plus of tasty and charitable food and drink. Over 200 local restaurants are lined up to offer prix fixe meals for brunch, lunch and dinner (and even to-go), with a set dollar donation from each meal sold benefiting the Houston Food Bank and its mission to end hunger and provide food for better lives. Prices are $25 for brunch and lunch, $39 or $55 for dinner. Times vary by location.
Monday, August 21, 2023
Tuesday, August 22, 2023
Wednesday, August 23, 2023
- Puppy Bingo at Texas Biergarten – The Missouri City beer garden hosts adorable puppies to cuddle with while you play rounds of bingo. Proceed benefit Jenni’s Rescue Ranch. $1 per bingo card. 6pm to 8pm.
- Comedian Meredith Masony at Houston Improv – A mother to three, Meredith Masony offers unfiltered insights into the somewhat chaotic world of parenting in the modern world. $60 for 2, and up. 7:30pm.
Thursday, August 24, 2023
- 50 Cent, with Busta Rhymes & more in Concert at Toyota Center – Celebrating the 20th anniversary of his breakout hit, Get Rich or Die Tryin’, Fiddy performs some of his biggest hits of the past decades. Joining him on stage is the prolific rapper and hitmaker Busta Rhymes, with Jeremih. $27 and up. 7pm.
- Small Batch Trivia at Glitter Karaoke | FREE – From Hungary to Hunger Games, Geeks Who Drink will test your knowledge of everything from science to sports at the Midtown hotspot for karaoke. 7pm to 9pm.
- The Magic of Eric Eaton at Houston Improv – Magician Eric Eaton dazzles an adults-only crowd at the Spring Branch comedy club. $50 for 2, and up. 7:30pm.
- Danny Brown & JPEGMafia in Concert at Warehouse Live – The EaDo venue hosts Danny Brown and his one-of-a-kind rhyme, joined on stage by JPEGMafia. $37.50. 8pm.
- Houston Musical Theater Company presents Broadway Musical Trivia at Post Houston – Think you know your Mamma Mia from Man of La Mancha? How about the difference between Dear Evan Hanson and Dreamgirls? Then grab a team and get ready to put your Broadway knowledge to the test as you take in panoramic views of Houston from the Skylawn. $28. 8pm.
- Comedian Andy Haynes at the Secret Group – Enjoy the hilarious comedy and life observations from this comedian known for his appearances at New York City’s Comedy Cellar and L.A.’s Comedy Store. The Seattle native has also been seen on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, Comedy Central Presents and Conan. $15 and up. 8pm.
- Arachnophobia Movie Screening at Daiquiri Time Out | No Cover – Head to Galveston to enjoy the 1990 thriller, the penultimate film of DTO’s Creature Feature Movie Series. The movie tells the story of an arachnophobe doctor who must confront his fear after residents in Los Angeles start turning up dead. 21+. 8:30pm.
- Neon Dreams: A Blacklight Burlesque Experience at Rise Rooftop – Hosted by Nikki Knockout, this evening of burlesque blends psychedelics and blacklight for an unforgettable performance. Expect a blend of puppetry, theater, dance and an original script that flips traditional burlesque on its head. $20 and up. 9pm.
- Victor Sabattini DJ Set at Bauhaus – From making his name in Tulum by playing some of the best bars, beach clubs and jungle parties, to traveling the world, Victor Sabbattini draws from multicultural sounds and vibes with a nod to Latin America. He brings his infectious brand of music to Downtown. $10 and up. 10pm to 2am.
Friday, August 25, 2023
- Live Jazz Happy Hour at Lyric Market | No Cover – Grab your favorite drink and something to eat from the Downtown food hall’s vendors, and enjoy the sounds of live jazz as you ease into your weekend. 4pm to 7pm.
- Artists on Site Series 4 Closing Reception with Pink Plankton at Asia Society Texas Center | FREE – Visit the studio and gallery spaces of four resident artists—Tatiana Escallón, Farima Fooladi, Naomi Kuo, and Alexis Pye—who have been working on-site through the late summer. Plus, enjoy eclectic music sets from Doc Guava, the Chevy Boys and Hasaan Olu. 6pm to 9pm.
- Homemade Pasta Class at Yellow Rose Distilling – This hands-on class shows you how to make your own pasta from scratch. Using a pasta machine, you can attempt to craft fettuccine, tagliatelle and more, plus you’ll also receive tips on how to craft tomato primavera sauce. At the end of class, you’ll eat your creation. $59. 6:45pm.
- LL Cool J & the Roots, Big Boi & more in Concert at Toyota Center – Getting together for the Frequencies of Real Creative Energy Tour, LL Cool J teams up with the Roots, DJ Z-Trip and DJ Jazzy Jeff for a celebration of hip-hop. Special guests scheduled to appear include Big Boi, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Goodie Mob, Juvenile and Rakim. $27 and up. 7pm.
- A Few Bad Apples Comedy Show at City Orchard | FREE – The Arts District cidery hosts an evening of comedy, featuring Clemente Javier and special guests. Expect laugh-out-loud explorations of life and society. 8pm.
- Juan Gabriel Eterno Tribute Concert at Axelrad| FREE – Hear the hits of Mexican singer-songwriter and composer Juan Gabriel with performances from Andrea Daniela, Mariachi Amor de Mexico, DJ Chappy Moon, Gracie Chavez and Mexican Blackbird. 8pm.
- Lady Bits: 5 Year Anniversary at the Secret Group – The uproarious all-female comedy showcase celebrates 5 years with a stand-up show in EaDo. $10 and up. 8pm.
- Pride Galveston: Mister & Miss Pride Pageant at Robert’s Lafitte – Kick off Pride Galveston festivities with the crowning of Mister & Miss Pride, taking place on Avenue Q at the lively Robert’s Lafitte bar. 9pm.
- Exposure: Expansions at Sharespace East Downtown – Enjoy crafted cocktails, a delicious menu, live house DJs, and fun visuals at this EaDo nightlife event that looks to move beyond the club experience. $20 and up. 9pm.
- Latin Night at Bar Boheme | No Cover – Groupo Kache plays live at the cozy Montrose spot for a great way to usher in the weekend, especially with deals on bottles and beer buckets all night long. 9pm to 2am.
- Brassjackers DJ Set at Stereo Live – The Dutch electronic music duo come to Houston for a live DJ set. Known for collaborations with established and upcoming artists, the team landed in the Top 40 of DJ Magazine’s Top 100 list. $10. 10pm to 2am.
Saturday, August 26, 2023
- Summer Dream Bash at Urban South HTX Brewery | FREE – Expect a waterslide and other activities where you can splash and cool down at this family-friendly event at the Arts District brewery. Look for a live DJ, photo booth, face painting and other activities to celebrate the end of summer. 1pm to 6pm.
- Cooking & Cocktails Class with Chef Rafael Ortiz at the Westin Downtown – Join Chef Rafael Ortiz for an evening of mingling and learning as he guides you through the step-by-step process of crafting Tres Leches. You’ll also have the opportunity to indulge in a mouthwatering Paloma cocktail, guided by a specialty mixologist. $75. 2pm to 5pm.
- Friends of the Phoenix BBQ Benefit for Daniel Ramon at The Phoenix | No Cover – This fundraiser raises money for Daniel Ramon, who was hit in a car collision on the way to work in the Woodlands, resulting in two months of hospital stays, surgeries and therapy. Barbecue sandwiches and plates are available for purchase, and there will be live music, a dunk tank, raffle and more. Food will be served from 4pm to 8pm or whenever it runs out. 3pm to 9pm.
- Yappy Hour at the San Luis Resort | No Cover – The Seawall-facing resort in Galveston hosts a dog-friendly happy hour benefiting the Galveston Island Humane Society. 6pm to 8pm.
- Drag Queen Bingo at Sesh Coworking – Play rounds of high-energy bingo in Midtown and take in drag queen performances, hosted by Jasmen Pierce. The proceeds from this evening benefits Magpies and Peacocks, a nonprofit that upcycles and repurposes fashion waste. $60. 6pm to 9pm.
- Comedians Please Don’t Destroy at White Oak Music Hall – The Saturday Night Live trio consisting of Ben Marshall, John Higgins and Martin Herlihy make a special appearance at White Oak, bringing their brand of surreal, off-color humor to the downstairs stage. $35. 7pm.
- Kinky Circus and Artist Market: Circus Matinee at Numbers Nightclub – Come out to the iconic Montrose night spot for the quartely bash, featuring local aerial performers, artists, giveaways, music, food, and an artisan market. Movie-themed costumes are encouraged. $35 and up. 7pm.
- Froggy Night at Houston Arboretum & Nature Center – Beneath our feet, in waterways and woods, Houston’s frogs have their own world. In this evening for those 16 and older, you’ll learn how people are working to help save these interesting creatures, enjoy sips from Saint Arnold and light bites, and take a guided walk through froggy territory. $50. 7pm to 9pm.
- Starry Night at Ingenious Brewing Company | FREE – Head to the Humble brewery for an intergalactic-themed menu and outer space-themed desserts, plus Constellation Coffee Company’s booth lets you check out all of their air-roasted, hand-sorted specialty coffee and organic hand-blended tea. 7pm to 10pm.
- Neon Garden at Axelrad | FREE – The monthly series returns to Axelrad with a free outdoor concert, a Super Smash Bros. tournament, and retro video game stations set up throughout the venue alongside art installations. 7pm to 2am.
- Comedian Danish Maqbool at the Secret Group – The nationally touring comedian known for his role as Cashier No. 1 on Hulu’s Ramy makes a stop at the EaDo comedy club. $20 and up. 8pm.
Sunday, August 27, 2023
Don’t Miss Out on Tomorrow’s Fun!
Don’t want to miss anything? Opt in for our Daily Updates to discover new things happening in Houston and receive special updates and offers, every weekday.