SIOUX CITY (KTIV) – Suzie Kraft of Ruthven Meat Processing in Ruthven, Iowa, stopped by the KTIV Kitchen on News 4 Today to share some tips when it comes to preparing some main dishes and side dishes for the holiday weekend.
We asked what recipes she had that Siouxland could try for the big dinner.
For the turkey, stop by your local meat processing locker. They will have smoked turkeys where all you have to do is add a little flavoring and warm it up. It will come completely cooked and brinned.
Sides are also a piece of cake.
Suzie’s Cranberry Sauce
- Drain pineapple, while reserving juice. (There should be 1/4 to 1/2 cup of juice)
- In a large bowl combine some pineapple tidbits, cranberries, apples, and walnuts.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups sugar and the reserved pineapple juice.
- Taste and add an additional 1/2 cup sugar, if you like.
- Cover and Refrigerate at least 2 hours, stirring once or twice.
- Serve topped with whipped cream.
TIP: Use canned cranberry sauce, mixed with cranberry relish reserves and mix. It will be just as tasty without all the hassle.
- Peel the potatoes, leaving a little skin on each one for texture. Cut potatoes into 1 1/2-inch chunks.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to boiling. Add potatoes.
- Simmer for 15-20 mins or until tender. Drain well & return them to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat butter & milk in a small saucepan over medium-low until the butter melts & milk is warm.
- Mash potatoes, adding milk mixture in four parts and mashing as you go until potatoes are creamy & well blended.
- Mash in 1 tsp salt and pepper.
Copyright 2023 KTIV. All rights reserved.